I have confusion with the past tense of verb combined with the past tense of はず したはずだった

From what I understand:

1. するはず - Supposed to do verb at some point in the future (don't know outcome yet)
  2. したはず - Verb is supposed to happen at some point in the past (don't know whether the verb happened)
  3. するはずだった - Verb was supposed to happen (but it didn't) - am I speaking in the present?
  4. したはずだった - Verb was supposed to happen in the past? (but it didn't)

For example, what are the differences between 3 and 4 in this sentence?

1. 彼女は一時までに電話するはずだ - She is supposed to call by 1 o'clock

2. 彼女は一時までに電話したはずだ - I suppose she called by 1 o'clock

3. 彼女は一時までに電話するはずだった - She was supposed to call by 1 o'clock

4. 彼女は一時までに電話したはずだった - She was supposed to have called by 1 o'clock?

And in this sentence:

あれ、携帯電話がない!うちを出るとき、カバンに(X)けど、カバンに入れ忘れたかもしれないね。?

Which is correct (X) and why?

1. 入れるはずだった
  2. 入れたはずだ
  3. 入れたはずだった
    選択肢2番は「入れたはず 」ですよね? – Chocolate Jun 23 '18 at 5:11

The sentence 3 means "She was supposed to call by 1 o'clock, but she didn't.

The sentence 4 means "She was supposed to have called by 1 o'clock, but we don't know she actually called by 1 o'clock. She may misunderstand it".

As for your second question, カバンに入れたはずだけど is best.

• I still don't understand completely. What is the difference between 彼女は一時までに電話したはずだ and 彼女は一時までに電話したはずだった then? I understand はずだ means the speaker does not know whether she called at 1 o'clock, but wouldn't that be the same meaning as はずだった?And also, would カバンに入れたはずだった be correct? in the sentence above? Can you please explain further? Thanks! – shade549 Jun 25 '18 at 2:25
    したはずだ is "I am supposed to have done it", it is a view from the present. したはずだった is " I was supposed to have done it", It is a view from the past. I think カバンに入れたはずだけど is better because it is a view from the present. – Yuuichi Tam Jun 25 '18 at 6:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.