In the movie Last Samurai, Hirotaro has only one line in the whole movie.

I tried some years ago to understand and "decipher" his words, but I couldn't and I blamed it on my lack of knowledge. Now that my 聞き取り is much better, I still fail to grasp what he says. Maybe it is in old language, Samurai dialect of some sort.

Here's the link to it, time marker included: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnzMVisprX8#t=1m26s

The subtitle says "He's mine".

My only guess is that he might have said "儂やる" in a bit twisted manner. No marker is not impossible in 'hard' language, and 儂 (わし) makes sense to be used instead of 私 or 俺, since 儂 is an older form and male term, and the story takes place during 1870-1877. However, what I hear is at best "washi yeru", which is not very encouraging.

Any ideas are welcome.

He says 「わしやる。」 ("I'll do it. = I'll behead him.")

The reason that you are not hearing the 「が」 would probably be this:

The nasal allophones of /g/

Note that I specifically mentioned the particle 「が」 in my answer in the thread above.

It seems 鼻濁音{びだくおん} is not too widely taught in Japanese-as-a-foreign-language, I am afraid.

I was aware of the nasal pronunciation of が (from experience listening to dialogues, it is true I never met it while studying Japanese), and I honestly tried to hear a が between the words, but it just didn't seem like he used one. I feel kind of satisfied that I partially sorted it out. Self high five! – Dimokratis Jun 20 '18 at 14:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.