I found that the term 漆塗り or simply 漆 is used to indicated the lacquer applied to materials such as wood, but can I use the same term in a food context? I am talking about that sort of 'glaze' you can find in recipes such as this one. Thank you for your help!


The most generic terms would be:

Noun: 艶{つや}、ツヤ

Noun: 艶/ツヤ出{だ}し ← act of creating/adding ツヤ

Verb: 艶/ツヤを出す

The words グレーズ and グレーズド are not nearly as common. In fact, many would not even be familiar with them.


I think the word you're looking for is 照り焼き. For example, here's a recipe for 鮭の照り焼き:


  • Thank you for your answer! I think teriyaki is a specific lacquering method. I am looking for a more general term, if there is one.
    – Marco
    Jun 16 '18 at 18:00
  • The word グレーズ and グレーズド are also used. Are you familiar with Cookpad? It's a huge Japanese recipe site, and a good place to learn culinary terms in Japanese.
    – mamster
    Jun 16 '18 at 20:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.