I found that the term 漆塗り or simply 漆 is used to indicated the lacquer applied to materials such as wood, but can I use the same term in a food context? I am talking about that sort of 'glaze' you can find in recipes such as this one. Thank you for your help!

2 Answers 2


The most generic terms would be:

Noun: 艶{つや}、ツヤ

Noun: 艶/ツヤ出{だ}し ← act of creating/adding ツヤ

Verb: 艶/ツヤを出す

The words グレーズ and グレーズド are not nearly as common. In fact, many would not even be familiar with them.


I think the word you're looking for is 照り焼き. For example, here's a recipe for 鮭の照り焼き:


  • Thank you for your answer! I think teriyaki is a specific lacquering method. I am looking for a more general term, if there is one.
    – Marco
    Commented Jun 16, 2018 at 18:00
  • The word グレーズ and グレーズド are also used. Are you familiar with Cookpad? It's a huge Japanese recipe site, and a good place to learn culinary terms in Japanese.
    – mamster
    Commented Jun 16, 2018 at 20:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .