In Naruto the village hidden in rain is called Amegakure in English Version and Pronounced like "Ame-ga-kure" in both Japanese and English Version.
But if you try to translate the kanji of this 雨隠れの里 to English(Google Translate), we get "Ame kakure no sato" as the translation. So I was just wondering what is the correct spelling of it. Can someone help?

Honestly the lesson here is never to use Google Translate. – Kurausukun Jun 25 '18 at 5:04

I'm not sure why you are downvoted, because I think this is an excellent question! Sometimes, when two words in Japanese combines, the beginning of the second word changes and gets (濁点.)

雨 (あめ) 隠れ (かくれ) is a good one, because I'd read it as "ama-gakure", so not only does "ka" get 濁点 but "ame" also changes to "ama."

Here are some other examples, including my own name:

• 手(て)+紙(かみ) → 手紙(てがみ)
  • 川(かわ)+口(くち) → 川口(かわぐち)
  • 鼻(はな)+血(ち) → 鼻血(はなぢ)

As a native speaker, I know when to do this instinctively, to the point that it feels awkward to pronounce if I don't do it, but according to wikipedia, the rule apparently isn't entirely logical and deterministic(!)

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.