I see 戋 as part of several kanjis like in this table segments

enter image description here

. I looked for its meaning in tables and dictionaries and I couldnt find anything. Does 戋 have a meaning of its own?

• Are you really wanting to ask about 戋? To me it makes more sense to ask about 戈 (one stroke less) or 㦮 (one stroke more)
    – Earthliŋ
    Jun 13, 2018 at 19:44
  • 戋 is Simplified Chinese. Traditional Chinese writes it like 戔 and Japanese Shinjitai writes it like 㦮. I can't imagine where you would see 戋 in Japanese text; can you edit the question to include where you saw it in Japanese? Otherwise the question isn't really relevant here..
    – dROOOze
    Jun 14, 2018 at 4:35
  • @drooze I saw them here, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_j%C5%8Dy%C5%8D_kanji , see how shallow and tread kanjis are written there, but what it is weird (to me) is that whan when I copy them here (after you suggested so) they are copied with one stroke more even when there they have one stroke less
    – Pablo
    Jun 14, 2018 at 20:22
  • I don't see 戋 in 'shallow' or 'tread' in that page, I only see 㦮. If you're asking about 㦮 (not 戋, although they have the same origins), then you should edit the question and details. Your web browser might be using a really strange font.
    – dROOOze
    Jun 14, 2018 at 21:02
    Oh...this is a Han unification problem. Simplified Chinese and Japanese uses the same codepoint for characters containing 戋/㦮, and if your browser doesn't detect the right language, it'll choose the incorrect font to display it. Your browser's having a few issues here, and to most other people they'll see 㦮 on the same page you linked. Anyway...are you still asking the question for 㦮?
    – dROOOze
    Jun 14, 2018 at 21:28

1 Answer 1

To clarify, the question is asking about the shared component「㦮」in characters like「践」,「銭」, and「浅」, and unfortunately, pending on your browser settings, these may be displayed as their Simplified Chinese version with the component「戋」(one less stroke) due to Han unification.

Simplified Chinese「戋」and Shinjitai「㦮」actually have the same origin, so for this question the specific one that's being asked is not important; they are stroke simplifications of what was originally written「戔」, preserved in the Jōyō kyūjitai kanji「箋」. Note that its Shinjitai form「䇳」is actually Hyōgai.

「戔」originally depicted a compound of two pole-arm weapons「戈」.

enter image description here

It was originally used in two senses in ancient Chinese texts, translated in Japanese Dictionaries by the kun'yomi entries that are sometimes given for this character (損なう, 余り, 狭い).

• As the original character for「殘」(Shinjitai:「残」), which in a generic sense means to harm, extended to mean the remainder (of an object, e.g. after damaging it)
  • Preserved in some old Chinese words such as「戔戔」, which means having the appearance of being small/thin/narrow.

The above two meanings may be related in some sense. In any case, there are quite a few characters that use「[戔]{せん}」as a phonetic component.

• 「箋」, a piece of paper/a note/bamboo slip
  • 「錢」(銭), money, originally a farming tool
  • 「踐」, to trample
  • 「綫」, variant of「線」

Some of them even inherit the small/damaged meaning as well.

• 「淺」(浅), shallow
  • 「賤」, cheap/worthless

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .