I'm really new to learning Japanese, so can answers be kept simple, please. I just learned about 'も' as far as I am aware, this means 'also' or 'as well', my question concerns its usage in a basic question statement.

私は日本人ですみどりやはも日本人ですか

My understanding is that this means "I am Japanese, is Midoriya also Japanese?" Since I am using 'も', do I also need to use 'は', or does it replace its declarative function?

私は日本人ですみどりやも日本人ですか

There may be a whole lot more than this that I am cocking up though

も always replaces は. You never use them together. You also need some full stops. 私は日本人です。みどりやも日本人ですか。It looks really weird if you leave out the first full stop (and some cases could change the meaning of what you write). – user3856370 Jun 11 '18 at 22:58
    By the way I didn't down vote, but this site expects you to do a little research before you ask a question. There are many online resources for teaching basic Japanese that you should probably have a look at first. See this list for starters: japanese.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/756/… – user3856370 Jun 11 '18 at 23:02
    If your question has been answered, please feel free to click the green check mark next to the answer you'd like to accept. There's no need to edit the word "answered" into your questions. – snailplane Jun 12 '18 at 22:14

replaces は.

• も replaces は and を. (there is an exception, but you can forget it for now)
  • も is used in combination with other particles including から, まで, へ, に, etc.

私は日本人です。みどりや日本人ですか?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.