I recently found a strange spelling of a reversed S (Ƨ) on an old Japanese matchbox label (late 19th century), in the phrase "MANUFACTURED IN ƧEIRYUKWAN". At first I thought this was just a mistake in the graphics, or perhaps the Latin alphabet was not well known. However, I later found an example where the normal and reversed S occur side by side, in "OSAKANATUƧINSIYA ƧEIZU". This does look like the artist should've noticed. This made me wonder: is this some weird old-style form of transliteration, and what could the difference between those twop forms be? I don't speak Japanese unfortunately, so I couldn't come up with any guesses.

Can you add a photo of the matchbox? Seeing the Japanese text would help... – bjorn Jun 8 '18 at 16:39

Are you referring to this?

enter image description here

As far as I understand, 'reversed S' does not have any particular meaning, so I suppose this is probably a mere mistake, or maybe an intentional design element like this. Other matchbox images from Seiryukwan (for example, here) on the net do not have this "problem".

• Yes. As I said, the side-by-side in the other example made me consider there might've been more to this. – user32849 Jun 8 '18 at 18:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.