From what I understand, にして can mean "and" or it stresses a period of time during which something happens. However, I found some sentences where the meaning of にして is totally different, and so, I am not sure if I understood correctly the meaning of にして.

この曲はベ一ト一ベンのような天才にしてはじめて書ける作品だ。

プロの職人にして失敗をするのだ。君がうまくいかなくてもしょうがないだろう。

According to the デジタル大辞泉 entry for にして, it has two separate derivations which are used in different ways. There is the form derived from the indirect object particle に, which is the usage you mentioned that can indicate a place or time, and there is the form derived from the old copula なり, which is roughly equivalent in meaning to modern であって, and covers the "and" meaning you mention.

In this case, I think we're looking at two slightly different usages of the であって sense. In the first usage, ベ一ト一ベンのような天才であってはじめて would convey the same meaning of "only one who is a genius like Beethoven (could write such a composition)", and the latter usage could be rephrased as プロの職人であっても失敗をするのだ (であって on its own doesn't really work, but I guess the にして form itself has enough of an emphatic nuance that the も is not necessary).

Nishite (or にし)
1. only; just because​
2. although; even​
3. at (place, time); in (time span)​

According to Jisho.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.