My book has one example of the use of the second one; こうこうのとき, いいがくせいでしたか which essentially is asking when you were in high school were you a good student though i am confused why こうこう instead of こうこうせい but that is a whole nother problem.

I doubt its as simple as one is a current tense and one is a past tense when. perhaps one is the question when and the other is a time when?

I have no idea what to tag this please fix for me.

You're on the right track. いつ is an interrogative, a question word. It's used to ask when something happened or will happen, not to talk about a particular time period. In English, we say:

When I was in high school.

In Japanese, it's:

こうこうのとき

(There's nothing wrong with saying こうこうせいのとき; it's just a little less common, probably because it's an extra word. In English, you can say, "Back in high school" or "When I was in high school" or "When I was a high school student...")

いつ and とき are never interchangeable. For example, you can say:

じゅぎょうはいつですか。

When is the class? If you replaced いつ with とき, the sentence would make no sense.

These have different meanings:

At this time, ...

とき means “time” and can be used to state a time period. This is translated to “when” in the sense of “at that time in which I was”

高校{こうこう}のとき、〜

When I was in high school, .... (In high school...)

Using 高校生{こうこうせい} or 学生{がくせい} for “student” is also acceptable.

高校生{こうこうせい}のとき、〜

When I was a high school student, ...

This can be used with a noun:

子供のとき、〜

When I was a child, ... (In my childhood...)

It can also be used with a verb or condition. In this case it’s usage is similar to ら for “if”:

お腹{なか}が空{す}いたとき、〜

When I am hungry, ...

お腹{なか}が空{す}いた、〜

If I am hungry, ...

So 時{とき} is used to state a time period in a subordinate clause, even if that time period is hypothetical or hasn’t occurred yet.

When?

いつ is used to ask a time period that the asker doesn’t know yet. いつ is only used in questions. 「いつですか?」 means “when?” and is used in exactly the same way for times as 「何{なん}ですか?」 for “what?”.

高校{こうこう}へ行{い}くのはいつですか?

When are you going to high school?

Note that いつ and とき have different usage and cannot be used interchangeably.

What time?

いつ for “when?” and 何{なん}時{じ} for “what time” (what hour) can also be confused:

昼{ひる}休{やす}みは[何]{なん}[時]{じ}ですか?

What time is (your) lunchbreak?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.