Context: a boxer is fighting against a defensive opponent that aims to win on points rather than KOs. The trainer of the boxer says:

守りも決定打を放つためのもの… ぶっ倒す欲のねェボクサーなど存在しねェし相手のデコ助も例外じゃねェ。 デコ助から狙うべきカウンター…ガキはもう見抜いてる。

I thought that デコ could be an abbreviation for decoy, but I am not sure. 助 is help, but I have no idea how to interpret it together with デコ. Also, I'de be grateful if you could explain if that から means from or after. My attempt:

Even defense could be used to blow a decisive punch... A boxer that doesn't want to knock down doesn't exist, and the opponent's __ is not an exception. The boy has already understood that he has to blow a counterpunch from/after the __.

Here you can see the whole page. Thank you for your help!

Weblio offers:

凸助(でこすけ) 額(おでこ)の出た人をあざけっていう。 また、人をののしっていう時もつかう。 でこぼこやろう

So basically, it's an insult for a person with large forehead(デコ). It has an additional collision with 凸凹{でこぼこ} (odd/awkward/clumsy). See also Goo (Daijisen)

In general, -助 can be attached to various words to make a pejorative (or sometimes affectionate) name/handle for someone because it's a pretty common name suffix.

• チビ助{すけ}: Shorty/Little guy
  • 寝坊助{ねぼすけ}: sleepyhead
  • 飲{の}み助{すけ}: drunkard

Another similar suffix is -太郎{たろう}, a stereotypical Japanese name, e.g.:

• ぽん太郎{たろう}: idiot;moron (ぽんつく+太郎)
  • 悪{あく}太郎{たろう}: bad boy (to a child)
  • ハム太郎{たろう}: Hamtaro (nickname of a hamster, from ハムスター(hamster) + 太郎)
  • Thank you very much! I had never heard about -助 or -太郎 as suffixes. – Marco Jun 4 '18 at 13:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.