For example, テレビをみませ is "I will watch TV". I would like to say なにをテレビをみますか but I'm not sure the double を makes any sense, for example in なにをみますか the person may answer テレビ but I want to know what is on the TV that they watch?

EX2:

としょかんでほんをよみませ 
I will read book/s in the library. 
なにをほんをよみますか 
What book/s will you read?

EDIT: Note that I am not looking for an adjective answer like good, scary, fantasy, but the specific name of the book/show.

First of all it should be テレビをみま. You did this twice, so I'm assuming it wasn't a typo.

You wrote:

なにをテレビみますか

You're intuition is correct that you cannot use を twice. For this you use the particle で, which means 'on' in this context:

何{なに}をテレビ見{み}ますか。

Using を doesn't make sense because you are not watching the TV, you're watching a programme on TV. Using を with なに is correct because the answer to the 'what' question is the thing that will be watched.

In your second example you wrote:

なにほんをよみますか

Both 'what' and 'book' are valid objects on their own ("What will you read?"/"Will you read a book?"), but not together. The sentence "What book will you read?" has a single object which is "what book". In this case you can say something like:

何{なん}の本{ほん}を読{よ}みますか。

Aside:

If you did want to ask "What kind of book will you read?" as in scary/fantasy etc., It would be:

どんな本を読みますか。

• The second example is still slightly confusing it almost seems like its saying "whats the book your reading look like?" but the first makes perfect sense, seems i need to learn more before the second will be clear, – Faust Jun 3 '18 at 16:47
  • @Faust Sorry, I made a typo in the furigana. I wrote よみみます instead of よみます. Does it make more sense now? – user3856370 Jun 3 '18 at 16:54
  • Yes now it makes perfect sense thank you! – Faust Jun 3 '18 at 16:56
  • Isn’t について also a good alternative to を? – Otsukisama Jun 4 '18 at 1:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.