While listening to a song (I believe it would be considered denpa or something close to it) I came across these lyrics (hesitant English translations by me):

どうだい くたばる前に あばよ昇天

How’s that? Before I drop dead I bid farewell my ascension to Heaven

全体死んでる目で見つめ合って

Gazing at each other with completely lifeless eyes

行進頓服中毒敵わないね

I won't win against this parade of use-as-needed poison

振り切れた生命 本能は低迷

I shook off my life; my instincts grow sluggish

I don't understand how to handle this "行進頓服中毒". I'm assuming that some のs are being omitted here as is the case with more casual/archaic language, but the terms and tone of the lyrics in this song are so odd (ex. "錠剤病んでるせいで投与、御礼。/ Since I was sick of those pills, my humble thanks to you for administering [them]") I wanted to check.

Thanks in advance - sorry for the jumbled question.

Frankly, being Japanese, these lyrics make no sense to me. – Notte Stellata Jun 1 '18 at 3:39
  • Yeah, I can get a general sense of what feeling the lyrics as a whole are trying to send but individually they make very little sense to me, and I'm generally able to understand most things I read. – kiku Jun 1 '18 at 5:41
  • can you link to the complete text? – Igor Skochinsky Jun 1 '18 at 7:42
  • lyrical-nonsense.com/lyrics/hachiya-nanashi-feat-hatsune-miku/… here you go. again, it's a denpa song, so it makes very little sense to me, unfortunately. – kiku Jun 1 '18 at 8:08

中毒{ちゅうどく} originally means "poisoning", but nowadays is used more in the sense of "addiction". So I would interpret 行進頓服中毒敵わない as "[one] can't win against addiction to marching".

I suspect 頓服{とんぷく} was just inserted for rhythm/alliteration and does not necessarily carry a meaning on its own. However, other lines also talk about taking medicine so maybe it's related after all...

In all, I think the best "translation" of this would be to just write similar nonsense in English using the overall impression of the song.

• Thank you. I'm more familiar with the usage of 中毒 to mean addiction, but given the odd usage of language in these lyrics I was also considering the original usage as well (the author appears to be fluent in Chinese as well, and has possibly adapted some Chinese words to his lyrics). I think I'll follow your advice and write similar nonsense. Thanks! – kiku Jun 1 '18 at 23:40

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.