While listening to a song (I believe it would be considered denpa or something close to it) I came across these lyrics (hesitant English translations by me):

どうだい くたばる前に あばよ昇天
How’s that? Before I drop dead I bid farewell my ascension to Heaven

全体死んでる目で見つめ合って
Gazing at each other with completely lifeless eyes

行進頓服中毒敵わないね
I won't win against this parade of use-as-needed poison

振り切れた生命 本能は低迷
I shook off my life; my instincts grow sluggish

I don't understand how to handle this "行進頓服中毒". I'm assuming that some のs are being omitted here as is the case with more casual/archaic language, but the terms and tone of the lyrics in this song are so odd (ex. "錠剤病んでるせいで投与、御礼。/ Since I was sick of those pills, my humble thanks to you for administering [them]") I wanted to check.

Frankly, being Japanese, these lyrics make no sense to me. Jun 1, 2018 at 3:39

1 Answer 1

中毒{ちゅうどく} originally means "poisoning", but nowadays is used more in the sense of "addiction". So I would interpret 行進頓服中毒敵わない as "[one] can't win against addiction to marching".

I suspect 頓服{とんぷく} was just inserted for rhythm/alliteration and does not necessarily carry a meaning on its own. However, other lines also talk about taking medicine so maybe it's related after all...

In all, I think the best "translation" of this would be to just write similar nonsense in English using the overall impression of the song.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .