How are the following different:

• そうです (thats right)

• そうですか (i see; is that so)

• そうですね (thats right)

also what's the difference between いいです and いいですね?

reference or sentence in context much appreciated especially example/s of where one uses "thats right" in english and then its translated to japanese which of そうですね or そうです are used any help would be much appreciated.

• This is not an answer, but these are called LRs ("listener responses") in linguistics, and ALL Japanese learners require a lot of practice before being able to deploy them naturally. I don't say this to be discouraging, just that it's something that seems like it should be so easy, but it takes time! – mamster Jun 1 '18 at 0:04
  • Also, いいそうで and いいそうですね are not common expressions. Are you thinking of いいです and いいですね? – mamster Jun 1 '18 at 0:05
  • いいです and いいですね is what i meant sorry i edit! – Faust Jun 1 '18 at 0:44

そうです is a way of saying 'yes, that is certain.' For example, a discussion using the word might go like this:

4+3=7 ですか? (Is 4+3=7?)

はい、そうです。(Yes, that is certain.)

On the other hand, そうですか is, as the definition you provided, can be both I see; or is that so?

If you used it as 'I see':

椅子に引っかかって腕を折りました。(I tripped on a chair and broke my arm.)

そうですか。。。 (I see...)

If you used it as 'Is that so?':

4+3=8です。 (4+3 is 8.)

そうですか? (Is that so?)

そうですね is a more intimate version of そうです、 and usually used when you are talking to a person of higher rank. It can also be used to start a sentence like 'um,'

Used like 'yes, I agree':

社長: ロッククライミングは危ないと思います。(Boss: I think Rockclimbing is dangerous)

社員: そうですね。(Worker: Yes, I agree.)

Used like 'um':

あなたはどう思いますか? (What do you think?)

そうですね、良いと思います。(Um, I think it is good.)

いいです and いいですね is the same thing as before, the one with the ね is more intimate version, and usually used when you are talking to a person of higher rank.

I hope this helps.

• ありがとうございます!タイプミスでした。。。(汗) – Notte Stellata Jun 2 '18 at 22:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.