Here's the line from NHK easy news:

ザギトワ選手のインスタグラムは世界で45万人ぐらいの人が見ていて、犬をかわいがる様子が人気になっています。

Link to the news article.

Separating the part before and after comma into two parts,

ザギトワ選手のインスタグラムは世界で45万人ぐらいの人が見ていて、

What does 見ていて mean here ? My translation is "Zagitova's instagram account is being followed by 450k people" but I am not sure if follow is the correct translation of 見ていて.

犬をかわいがる様子が人気になっています

"The condition of dog being cute is getting popular" doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The confusion here arises mostly because of 様子.

犬をかわいがる様子が人気になっています。

What would be a good English translation for the entire sentence or what do 見ていて and 様子 translate to in this context ?

見ていて -> 見ている -> 見る ( look/see )

The subject of 見ていて is the preceding 45万人ぐらいの人 (around 450k people)

So, more literally it's "In regards to Zagitova's Instagram, around 450k people (in the world) are looking [at it]", but "follow" can be used too. The -て form is used to connect the two sentences.

For the second part, 犬をかわいがる does not mean "dog is being cute", but "[Zagitova] is playing with/showing affection to the dog" (see かわいがる). Note how is marking the object of the verb.

Next, 様子 can mean "condition" but in the sense of "appearance/look [usually of someone]". A better meaning in this context is probably "state; state of affairs; situation; circumstances". I.e. it's the scenes/situation of Zagitova petting the dog which makes her Instagram popular.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.