While studying japanese I came across some grammar that really confuses me:

ここから、始まってはいけない

Ok, it says 'you must not start from here'. Which seems agreeable because the sentence is in a negative form. However then this sentence appears:

ここから、始まらなくてはいけない

Which roughly translates to 'you must start from here'. Why is this sentence also negative? Why are 'must' and 'must not' both written in a negative form and how can I tell them appart?

please check that you transcribed the second example correctly – Igor Skochinsky May 29 '18 at 22:26
  • Should be right now – 2hTu2 May 30 '18 at 5:47

始まってはいけない

Its components and their "polarity":

• 始まる: positive (to begin)
  • いけない: negative

Construction: 始まって(て form of 始まる) + は + いけない

And, positive * negative = negative

So, this roughly means "must not start" (negative)

始まらなくてはいけない

This is "positive" because it contains a "double negative"

Its components and "polarity"

• 始まらない: negative (to not begin)
  • いけない: negative

Construction: 始まらなくて(て form of 始まらない) + は + いけない

And, negative * negative = positive

This roughly means "must not not start", or "must start", because the "not"s cancel each other

Multiple negation isn't actually unacceptable in English, so I'd probably reword that section slightly. Multiple marking of a single semantic negation is (for the most part) non-standard in English, but that's not really related to the Japanese example, in which each semantic negation is expressed only once. – snailcar May 29 '18 at 23:58
    Noted. Thanks for reining that one in. Removed reference to language dependence as suggested. – Otomatonium May 30 '18 at 0:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.