Both ともあろうものが and まじき seem to be used for say that a person in that position shouldn't act in a certain way because it is not appropriate. However, I'm not sure if I understood them correctly. Could somebody provide me some examples to grasp the difference existing?

「Xともあろうもの(者)が」 is used with X that designates someone or a class of people, to express a strong disapproval/disappointment. 「一家の主ともあろうものが仕事もしないで遊び歩くなんて」 (how can a head of a household can go out and have fun without even having a job!?) 「者」 is a formal sounding word, and I find myself more comfortable using 「Xともあろう人が」.

Apparently 「まじき」 historically had a lot wider usage but in modern Japanese it's really only used as 「あるまじき」 to mean "unthinkable", so I think it basically means the same thing as 「ともあろうものが」. For example, 「仕事もしないで遊び歩くなんて一家の主にあるまじき行いだ」

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.