In this manga, 思 is being pronounced as おもう.

However, on Google Translate, I'm getting shita. (In the same sentence: かわいいと思うよ.)

Why is this?

closed as off-topic by macraf, Dono, l'électeur, snailcar May 27 '18 at 11:28

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – Dono, snailcar
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• One kanji has many ways to pronounce it. For example: む is pronounced yomu, but 書 is pronounced dokusyo. – K. Broflovski May 27 '18 at 8:19
  • There are two pronounce systems in Japanese Language. One of them it's called 音読, another is 訓読. – K. Broflovski May 27 '18 at 8:22
    @QING So the Google Translate version is showing the 音読 version by mistake? Both are the same sentence. – alex May 27 '18 at 8:23
  • Maybe not a mistake, You have to take a look into the context and previous character is. – K. Broflovski May 27 '18 at 8:25
    In this sentence(your manga), it should be おもう. – K. Broflovski May 27 '18 at 8:27

You're mistyping 思う. It's pronounced おもう ("omou").

かわいいと思うよ。 means "I think it's cute!" (The よ indicates certainty, conviction, or emphasis.)

• Thanks for spotting that typo. However, the pronunciation of the phrase in the manga is still different from the one in Google Translate. – alex May 27 '18 at 8:22
  • @alex: Uh... No it's not? The image you linked shows the exact same furigana for 思う. Or do you mean the mistyped version you put in Google Translate causes a different pronunciation than the actual word? – V2Blast May 27 '18 at 8:24
  • Oh, I think when I typed 思つ Google translate used the other pronunciation shita. Anyway, thanks. You answered my question! – alex May 27 '18 at 8:26
    What よ stands for is not certainty or conviction on your side but gap of recognition between the speaker and the listener, in other words, consideration for how the listener doesn't really believe so. When you compare the one with よ with the one without, the one without it sounds more decisive because it doesn't really care what the listener thinks. – user4092 May 27 '18 at 13:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.