I found in the Chinese dictionary that 呉 is the name of a kingdom. But in japanese it means "to give". How did it happen ? Thanks a lot

In en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji, there is references the history, variant of Chinese characters, and last 2 paragraph of On'yomi (Sino-Japanese reading), mention that Chinese can have four meaning for single character based on sound. But certainly not in this case as it is changing meaning. I guess is The history of 呉kingdom being conquer by 越kingdom, because the呉kingdom releases the heir of 越kingdom (captured by 呉) due to the越being obedient and gifting one of the top 4 beauty in china history and treasure to呉.I guess is Japan being sarcasm here. (If Japan history relate to this part) – Edward Chan JW May 27 '18 at 15:08

The use of「呉」in「[呉]{く}れる」is an Ateji (kanji that are used phonetically, disregarding its meaning).「呉」was used because「[呉]{くれ}」was a way to say "China", derived from a Japanese word for sunset (「[暮]{く}れる」; China being west of Japan).

Note,「呉れる」is not a common spelling anymore.

• In ancient Vietnamese呉 also means China although China is not at the west of Vietnam – japaneselearner May 30 '18 at 15:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.