I can't understand very well this "続けた結果" found in the following description, from a Pokémon videogame.

1人の 科学者が 何年も 恐ろしい 遺伝子 研究を 続けた 結果 誕生した。

It is talking about a Pocket Monster, and its general meaning I think is "It was created by a scientist after years of horrific genetic researches", or "Born as result of years of horric genetic researches carried out by a scientist".

But I cannot understand grammatically what is the meaning of "続けた結果". Okay, 続けた is the past form of 続ける and 結果's meaning is "result, consequence, outcome, effect​..." But together?

結果 forms a subordinate clause, just as some other Japanese nouns do. The best-known noun that works similarly is とき ("when"). You may know 場合 ("in case"), 瞬間 ("the moment"), and ほど ("to the extent") also form a subordinate clause without a subsequent particle. Rarer words that work similarly include 手前, 刹那 and 最中.

Grammatically, the part before 結果 is a relative clause that modifies 結果. The resulting clause means "in consequence of ~". Semantically, your understanding of the sentence is correct.

結果

副詞的に用いて、ある事態の生じるもととなる結末状態を表す。「猛勉強をした結果、合格した」

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.