This text is from a light novel:

ラグニールは既に龍王の座を青い龍へと譲り、隠居の身になっていた。

ただ、それによって今はどこにも居場所が無いと嘆いており、カガネ曰く「日曜日のお父さん状態」らしい。どういう意味なのか知りたいんだけど、聞かない方がいいような気がした……俺も将来そうなるのだろうか……

I don't understand what 日曜日のお父さん状態 is supposed to mean. I understand the words for "Sunday", "father", and "state", but I can't figure out what this phrase is supposed to mean.

• This – BJCUAI May 24 '18 at 23:49
  • @user27280 that cat is certainly "Like a Dad on Sunday" (hint hint, though it isn't obvious). That being said, one thing that could have helped was more context, in the absence of understanding this bit. – psosuna May 24 '18 at 23:50
    Please don't leave part of your question in the comment section; instead, make sure you include these kinds of details in the question itself. If you'd like to add further details, please feel free to edit your post. – snailcar May 25 '18 at 1:37
  • @psosuna Point taken. – BJCUAI May 25 '18 at 2:18

日曜日のお父さん状態 is 日曜日のお父さん状態, or "that status/situation of a dad on Sundays". の is (intentionally) omitted because the author implies this expression refers to something every reader knows. See: -的 adjectives modifying nouns without な

So the sentence says ラグニール is like a typical Sunday dad. What it exactly means is clearly indicated in the context. 日曜日のお父さん is a metaphor of どこにも居場所が無い (i.e., "I feel like I don't belong here", "I feel isolated"). Many middle-aged Japanese businesspersons are so busy and tired that they often have this feeling on holidays.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.