The question is very simple: how many kanji there are that have a 'unique' ON-reading, not shared by any other kanji? Or, as it is probably a too general question given the variety of kanji: how many one-kanji ON-readings exist in the Joyo list? Do any of those readings gain additional kanji if we start to consider Jinmeiyo-kanji / non-Joyo-kanji / non-standard readings? Tricky readings like [頁]{ページ} or [糎]{センチメートル} are excluded.

Example, which I know: the チャ reading is only with 茶 while we are in Joyo, but if we extend our search, there are at least 茗 and 楪 which share the same.

• Interesting question, I wonder if the scope of the question might get to be a little broad (I'm not an expert on kanji). Are you digging for something specific? – ajsmart May 24 '18 at 17:31
  • 「チャ」cannot be an on’yomi for「茗」or「楪」- that is not their Chinese-derived pronunciation. Those two may have been used as synonyms for「茶」, so this is a case where the characters have a kun’yomi (「ちゃ」) which is from the on’yomi of another character. – droooze May 25 '18 at 0:18
  • @droooze 楪(ちゃ) is a true Chinese-derived reading attested in the loan 楪子(ちゃつ). It is a late borrowing, regarded as 唐宋音. (ちゃ is not a possible 呉音 or 漢音 reading.) – muhmuhten Nov 26 at 4:02
    @muhmuhten that's interesting - I currently cannot find a reference or reconstruction which suggests that ちゃ can be derived from a historical reading of 楪. "楪子" is also not a Chinese word, although it might have been derived from the identically pronounced 碟子. But 碟, 楪, and 蝶 are supposed to sound the same or identical, so I don't know where ちゃ comes from. – droooze Nov 26 at 10:07
    @muhmuhten The initial ch part of チヤ is fine. I initially took issue with the final a part (as opposed to the おう of, say, 蝶), but upon closer inspection of 蝶 in the Minnan and Hakka topolects, this is also believable. Since 唐音 are not systematic, I would regard チャ as an imitation of something that sounded like "diap" in a southern Chinese topolect. Thank you for pointing this out! – droooze Nov 27 at 7:37

According to a list in this answer, there are 65 joyo-kanji which have a unique on-reading (in the sense of "has a reading not shared by other kanji"). They include 茶. Since even easy joyo-kanji have some nonstandard/rare readings which are not covered by all dictionaries, the number should vary depending on the method. For example, the list says 条 has a unique on-reading デキ, but I don't know when 条 can be read like that. Also note that the list seems a bit old. The list says ボッ is unique to 坊, but it's no longer true since 勃, a kanji recently included in the joyo list, can be read as ボッ, too. 鬱 (ウツ) is now a joyo kanji, and probably has a unique on-reading.

• The list says 条 has a unique on-reading デキ, but I don't know when 条 can be read like that This is a [反切]{はんせつ} reconstruction of the character「滌」(徒歷切, i.e. imperfectly reconstructed due to sound shifts [徒]{ト} + [歷]{レキ} = テキ).「条」(or rather, Kyūjitai「條」) was substituted for the character「滌」in the Rites of Zhou - i.e. obscure, and you can safely discard the reading デキ as having almost no practical value. – droooze May 26 '18 at 1:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.