The sentence in question: 店員さんに話を聞くと、「10年ほど前から海外のだっこひもが人気となり需要が高まった。

For full context: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/web_tokushu/2018_0521.html?utm_int=news_contents_tokushu_004

My attempt at tranlstion: When we asked the shopowner the story: "Since before about 10 years, the foreign "dakko" cords have become popular and the demand has risen."

Ive encountered the と particle in various uses about which my textbook has never told me anything, and many of them meant something like "make A to B". So this question is just for confirmation that I guessed correctly here :D

You're right.

AがBとなる means "A becomes B". ~が~なる sounds less colloquial and a bit more formal than ~が~なる.

海外のだっこひも人気となる
Baby slings/carriers from overseas become popular
(≂ 海外の抱っこひもが人気になる)

You can think of 「AをBとする」 as its transitive counterpart: Intransitive 「AがBに/となる」(A becomes B) -- Transitive「AをBに/とする」(make A B; think of A as B)

Apparently 〜になる and 〜となる are pretty much equivalent (become ~), but there is a small difference in nuance. If I understood this Oshiete! Goo answer correctly, is used for natural, obvious results and when the development is sudden or somewhat unexpected. This example was given:

「すったもんだの末、結局彼が村長となった。」

After an awful fuss, he became the village chief in the end.

「すんなりと彼が村長になった

He became village chief without much difficulty.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.