The title of this news article is

将棋の[藤井]{ふじい}[聡太]{そうた}さん 今まででいちばん若く「[七段]{しちだん}」になる

Why is 若く used here instead of 若い? As far as I know, い adjectives change into く form when they come before verbs but 「七段」に なる doesn't seem like a verb here. What does this kind of grammatical usage of い adjective signify ? Examples would be nice.

Thank you :)

なる is a verb, and 七段になる is a verb phrase. – Sjiveru May 21 '18 at 18:51
    早く家に帰ってくれ! ちゃんと僕の話を聞いてください!などの話もいいじゃないでしょうか – HiBlau May 22 '18 at 10:20

As Sjiveru says, it's an adverb modifying a verb phrase. Saying that い-adjectives change to く form before a verb is an oversimplification; く form is the adverbial form.

This a tricky sentence because we would use an adjective in English, so let's look at another example.

I ran quickly to the store.

As you can see, "quickly" is an adverb modifying "ran." Now, in Japanese:

速く店まで走った。

The word order here is perhaps a bit awkward, but you can see that 速く isn't modifying 店, it's modifying 走った. If you changed it to:

速い店まで走った。

It wouldn't make any sense. What's a fast store?

Now, to the original headline:

将棋の藤井聡太さん 今まででいちばん若く「七段」になる

Fujii-san is the youngest Shōgi player to attain 7th level. Or in headline-speak "Shōgi's Fujii Souta-san youngest to attain 7th level"

If you changed 若く to an adjective, it would mean that Fujii-san is "becoming the youngest 7th-level." This is awkward if not ungrammatical, because unlike, say, "black-belt," "7th-level" is somewhat unnatural as a metonymy for "7th-level player".

Note: I know nothing about Shōgi, so I'm not sure if "7th-level" is a natural translation or if we'd say "7-dan" or something else in English!

• Also, it's pretty cool that the previous record holder was named 一二三。 – mamster May 21 '18 at 23:31
    This is not a sentence; It is a headline. People here call everything a "sentence". A real sentence in a news article would surely contain the subject/topic marker instead of a space and a 「なった/なりました」 instead of 「なる」 at the end. – l'électeur May 21 '18 at 23:37
  • Fair enough; I'll edit. – mamster May 21 '18 at 23:41
    It happens to be correct even if it was 一番若い7段, and it's not awkward at all. If you feel awkward, the problem is translating 7 dan into 7th level. In English speaking shogi society, 7段 is called 7th-dan. – user4092 May 22 '18 at 4:05
  • @user4092 Please feel free to edit my answer. – mamster May 22 '18 at 4:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.