Saw it in a jisho but I have no idea what it means.

where exacty did you see it? link/screenshot? – Igor Skochinsky May 18 '18 at 10:03

動{どう}ラ下二{しもに}, an abbreviation of 動詞{どうし}、ラ行{ぎょう}下二段{しもにだん}活用{かつよう}. That is, a Classical Japanese (文語{ぶんこ}) verb of the “lower bigrade” conjugation, with a root ending in -r.

To really understand what this means you need to spend some time learning Classical Japanese grammar. Many dictionaries have an appendix or something explaining the concepts, and it should be easy to find 文語 guides online. In English, I recommend Wixted’s A Handbook to Classical Japanese.

I can’t make a full introduction to the grammar in the space of this answer, but an example of a verb in this class would be 流{なが}る nagaru; it inflects as 流れ、流れ、流る、流るる、流るれ、流れよ. It’s of course the ancestor of modern nagareru.

Notice how in kana notation the inflections start with one of two different kana, る and れ. Recall that, in the traditional gojūonzu table of kana characters, symbols with an -e vowel are in the lower half. So the inflections for this verb, as written in kana, use two lines from the lower side of the r- column. That’s what is meant by ラ行 (“ra column”) 下二段 (“two lines, lower”). An adapted translation could be “verb with a root ending in -r, whose inflections use the vowels -u- and -e-”. (A verb which uses an -i vowel to inflect, like 落{お}つ – 落ち、落ち、落つ、落つる、落つれ、落ちよ – would be a 上二段{かみにだん}, “upper bigrade” verb).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.