I was wondering if someone can give me some examples because I don't remember quite well from my Japanese classes (because we rarely used this following way), how to connect more sentences? Until now I have mostly used the て form and たり~たりする form, but I remember that there was another way, and I want to know if I'm right, by using the stems of the verbs. I vaguely remember a sentence from one of my textbooks and that's why I wanted a reminder of some sort.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it quite well, because I don't remember the rule on how to construct sentences like that. Most of the time, me and my classmates resorted to the て form and made very very short phrases back then.

In written Japanese (only) you can connect sentences using the "-masu stem". This is very common in newspapers.

This is from NHK news:

ヨーロッパ委員会は3年前から調査を進めてきましたが、グーグルの手法が、日本の独占禁止法に当たるEU競争法に違反すると最終的に判断し、43億ユーロ余り、日本円にしておよそ5700億円の制裁金を科すと発表しました

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20180718/k10011538811000.html?utm_int=news_contents_news-main_004

The above bolded verb is just the stem (of a する verb). It has the same meaning as the て-form.

その例文、「判断して 、」とは言い換えられますけど、「43億ユーロ余って 」とは言い換えられませんよね。この「43億ユーロ余り」は "a little more than €4.3 billion", "over €4.3 billion" (≂「43億ユーロ以上」) って意味で、「日本円にしておよそ5700億円」と同格なんで。。 – Chocolate Jul 18 '18 at 23:34
  • @Chocolate ok edited to reflect – ooo Jul 19 '18 at 3:31
    In written Japanese (only)... I think "only" is a bit presumptuous. Maybe "mostly" or "often", but not "only". – istrasci Aug 18 '18 at 4:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.