I came across the following sentence

ところで、リー君はどうして忙しい

translated as

By the way, Lee-kun, why are you busy?

If the の is left out, what's the difference in 'feel' or implication? That is, why is the sentence above different from

ところで、リー君はどうして忙しい?

From what I've read, の seeks more explanation and context, but for a 'why' question, is an explanation not already expected? What purpose does the の play in the first sentence?

• Some insight here – BJCUAI May 17 '18 at 0:33

You can use 「の」 to ask a question in japanese as simply.

For example:

ご飯を食べている

is meaning same as

ご飯を食べています

you also can ask reason with 「なぜ...の」. which is meaning same as 「どうして...んですか」

なぜ学校へ行かない

give a order, very similar to 「しなさい」

みんな話さないで、よく聞く

の is a nominalizer in this case. Which means that it makes of the followed proposition a noun.

If you know what 「のだ」 is, then you will not have any problem understanding this one, because they are the same の.

どうして忙しい? : Why are you busy?

どうして忙しいの? : Why is it that you're busy?

That is why in some situations and with the right intonation, a question with の may sound a bit girly, because it sounds more pushy than a question without it.

• I downvoted this but after some further research, I'd like to retract my downvote... but I'm still not sure if this is correct. (see okwave.jp/qa/q3897237.html making the case for and geocities.jp/niwasaburoo/19shuujosi.html seeming to make the case against as far as I can read it) – virmaior Jul 18 '18 at 14:53
  • Why would you even downvote without knowing whether it's correct or not in the first place? There isn't 50 type of ending-particle の, the only thing that makes people think there are multiple different の is the different appellation we give to the same thing. Now I can understand the downvote because it's a pretty short answer, but IMO it got the point better than the accepted answer that basically says that いるの? is the same as いますか。 which is only the case semantically. @virmaior – Breton Loïc Jul 18 '18 at 18:26
  • I think you're misunderstanding me on multiple fronts here. My initial sense was that this is not correct, but then I doubted my initial sense and checked several resources since it seems like an intriguing interpretation. Some resources agreed, I wanted to retract the downvote. For many sources, nominalization is not the only interpretation and nominalization by itself doesn't make very much sense as to why something is a question. – virmaior Jul 18 '18 at 22:05
  • What the other answer has that yours lacks is that the interpretation of how の works in questions is a shortening of のかい rather than just magically functioning like a question itself... – virmaior Jul 18 '18 at 22:07
  • The nominalization in itself has nothing to do with the fact that it's a question. The question was about what the particle adds to a question with this kind of pattern "どうして忙しいの?". I think I answered that pretty well with the example translations I added. @virmaior – Breton Loïc Jul 18 '18 at 22:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.