A and B are talking about a technology.

A: Bは"technology"の導入には反対だったな

A/B: reason 1 しreason 2 から, どうしても……ね

I'm not sure what is the supposed meaning of どうしてもね here. Also the reason I'm using A/B is that I'm not 100% on who is supposed to be saying this (because manga). I at first thought that this is B replying to state their concerns. But now, I think it's A. Stating what they presume to be B's concerns.

I think どうしてもね might be a sort of saying "Is there any other reason?/anything else" and like. But I'm not sure.

@Otomatonium Please avoid writing answers in the comment section. Thank you! – snailboat May 16 '18 at 0:20

It sounds to me as it's B responding.

The どうしてもね means "I had to" or "I couldn't help but to" [due to the preceding reasons.] Basically they are saying their opposition to the technology was forced due to what they saw as overwhelming reasons.

First, it would be more natural to assume that it is B who says the second line. Call it a native speaker's gut feeling; I just could not imagine A saying it. It sounds to me like a reply to A's line.

「どうしても・・・ね」 here would mean:

「どうしても賛成{さんせい}できないんだよね」 ("I can't [agree to it/approve of it] for the life of me.")

You will encounter 「どうしても」 again and again because we use it so frequently.

• You have taken into account that those ellipsis is a pause before saying ne, right? What does the ね add here and would you even bother translating it? So this is: "because reason 1 and 2, I can't really approve...you know?" – 4th Dimension May 16 '18 at 14:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.