The symbol × is sometimes used in titles like 「ラビ×ラビ -パズルアウトストーリーズ-」 or headlines like this one: 「スシロー×寿司ストライカー スペシャルキャンペーン」.

I imagine native speakers who read it might pronounce it as と, since it seems to mean "and", like in the above example of a game with two characters and a joint campaign.

How is the symbol actually pronounced?

This type of × (indicates a close relationship between two things/people) is usually simply ignored, just as we do not bother to read ❤ or ★ aloud in titles and such. "ラビ×ラビ" is read as ラビラビ as if it were one word. "スシロー×寿司ストライカー" would be pronounced with a small pause between スシロー and 寿司ストライカー.

Similar examples from real manga titles:

When you must read this symbol aloud (e.g., when you need to tell the "spelling" of this title over the phone), you can read it as かける or バツ.

• Sounds like it resembles a slash that's sometimes used in English, as in "and/or" – waldrumpus May 15 '18 at 8:29
    @waldrumpus Yes, and Japanese × resembles English slash in that they can signify a close (romantic) relationship between two people (often of the same sex) :) – naruto May 15 '18 at 8:45

Another possibility, depending on the context/title, is "cross" (「クロス」).

These all happen to be video games, so I don't know if this reading carries over to other things/areas/media.

• I think the クロス reading pertains to whenever two sources of media perform a cross-over and are joined together (as OP was saying, as if it were an "and") – psosuna May 15 '18 at 18:15

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.