I came upon this conversation:

A:「あ、あの・・・」

俺は、そこにいた役場の職員らしき人物にたずねた。

B:「はい、なにか・・・?」

A:「この辺で、サングラスをかけたクールな感じの女性、見かけませんでした?」

B:「さあ・・・?」

A:「さいですか。ども・・・」

B:「・・・・・・」

I went through the fifteen or so words listed in the edict dictionary for さい and only came up with rhinoceros which doesn't seem like a perfect fit.

I swear I've seen the exact same phrase in a manga too somewhere, but never paid attention to it enough to look it up.

It sounds like そうですか to me. Is that correct?

Try a monolingual dictionary next time; It will be far more helpful than the bilingual sources that are insanely popular among many J-learners. デジタル大辞泉 explains it as:

[形動{けいどう}]《「さよう」の音変化{おんへんか}》「さよう」のいく分{ぶん}ぞんざいな言{い}い方{かた}。「さいざんす」「さいです」

「さい」 is a slightly rough (or unrefined) way of saying 「さよう/左様」("indeed", "that's right", etc.)

「さいですか」 is actually pretty close to "Oh, I see." in feeling. Thus, it is also close to 「そうですか」 in meaning.

• Thanks. I do use monolingual dictionaries, but require a starting point of some sort. When you are faced with six pages of results, it is kind of intimidating. – muser29925 May 14 '18 at 13:49
  • I understood from your Daijisen quote that the word's usage is limited: only used with the copula. Is that correct? – muser29925 May 14 '18 at 13:51
  • Weblio has an entry on さいですか here. – Micheal Gignac May 14 '18 at 16:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.