I used to write long, compound English sentences until I was told that it was considered poor writing style. However, the more Japanese I read, the more I get the feeling that it is rather natural to have a long, (seemingly) complex sentence instead of the other way around. This often causes confusion for me.

What's worse, I sometimes find that the subject and the verb/verbs in a sentence disagree.

For instance, these two sentences seem to have perfectly clear subjects from the beginning:

1. (Source)

インドの警察当局は、NASA(アメリカ航空宇宙局)との取引をほのめかし、実業家からおよそ2,300万円をだまし取った疑いで、この親子を逮捕した。

2. (Source)

2人は、普段から生活保護費の変更処理を怠るなどしていたということで、2018年3月、机にある山積みの資料を整理したところ、今回の不正が発覚した。

While I can understand both sentences, I find myself losing sight of the subject halfway through. For case 1, it was the 親子 who performed ほのめかし. Yet, the subject of the whole sentence is インドの警察当局. I literally had to pause, and parse the sentence carefully again.

The same goes for case 2, where 2人 is the subject of the sentence, yet mid-sentence, 整理した appears, followed by 発覚した. I was scratching my head as to whom did the 整理 and 発覚. It couldn't have been 2人, the suspects. Again, I had to look it over to get the meaning right.

Question:
Is this reading issue I have right now a matter of lack of reading experience, or are the sentences themselves somewhat poorly written? Is this sort of writing and/or speaking style preferable for the Japanese language? By this style, I mean one in which the subject and the verb/verbs differ, causing possible ambiguity.

These sentences are certainly a bad composition. However, you may have to settle down with it when time and space are limited because of the media.

• Thank you for giving me confirmation. I was afraid that the ambiguity was entirely on my part. I did not take conciseness into perspective though, as I had thought the news media ought to aim to be as clear as possible. Then, would you say that a better writer would try to avoid obscurity as seen in the examples above? – Yeti Ape May 13 '18 at 6:15
  • If this is not too much trouble, would you kindly take the time to see one more example for me? I believe this is related to the topic:「彼女は気の利く女の子である印象を強く受けた。She struck me as a tactful girl.」While this is a rather short sentence, the same problem seems to occur again. Here I would expect 彼女 to be the one who has the impression, as は clearly marks the subject. However, the translation given says otherwise. I guess one could deduce from context, and arrive at the meaning given by the translation. Yet, if such is the case, wouldn't the sentence rather be "(私は)彼女が気の利く女の子である印象を強くうけた。"? – Yeti Ape May 13 '18 at 6:39
    Unless it's a description in narratives, Japanese grammar dislikes expressing other person's inner thought or emotion in indicative. In short, it's practically not ambiguous. – user4092 May 13 '18 at 17:45
    When I wrote "bad composition", I just translated a word I came up with, that is, 悪文. In short, even though it's 悪文, it's no problem to native speakers and to be honest, I can't come up with better alternatives apart from explanatory ways. – user4092 May 13 '18 at 17:59
    As for the はが problem, you are right. It should be at least 彼女は気の利く女の子である という 印象を…. However, that's not a major problem compared with the problem above and context. – user4092 May 13 '18 at 18:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.