A few days ago when I was reading a manga that has chracters with super powers, there was a boy that had a power concerning his eyes, and like it's seen a lot in manga in anime, they shout out their powers, and this boy's power was called 「ハヤブサの目].
Now, of course I did a little research beforehand because I wanted to adapt these power names into English, and the first thing that I thought for this one was "Hawk Eyes", (rather than Falcon Eyes) something which I have heard in many contexts and I thought it would be fitting (for example if you know the character from FullMetal Alchemist- Riza Hawkeye). But, I wondered if it was ok to translate it like that.

Searching in the dictionary, ハヤブサ means falcon, more specifically peregrine falcon (I found out recently that the book Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is called ハヤブサが守る家 in Japanese).
So, I want to know if ハヤブサ is just falcon, because, look I found this on weblio: オスのタカ、特にオスのハヤブサもしくはシロハヤブサ (male hawk especially male peregrine or gyrfalcon).
For the adaptation I made, I named the character's power Hawkeyes, but if someone can tell me that falcon should is more appropriate, then I would greatly appreciate it so I could revise my translations.
Thank you!

Everytime I want to know what something looks like I just type it in google images. – blaoi May 12 '18 at 13:52
  • Did you check ja Wikipedia? It says ハヤブサ is Peregrine Falcon. – Yux May 13 '18 at 7:42
  • Very sorry for my late replies, but yes, I did check, but I was still unsure, for like I wrote above, there was mentioning of "hawk" in one of the sentences I have found, and although I don't remember which site I read a long time ago, I read something about birds (eagles, hawks and falcons) and I think hayabusa appeared again as hawk. Just wanted more confirmation. – Alice B. Rabbit May 18 '18 at 7:55
  • A falcon is a type of hawk. – JACK Aug 1 '18 at 14:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.