ok so, i'm reading デューク and there's a line that says

その格好がモップに似ていると言って、みんなで笑った。

with my limited comprehension, i'm unsure of whether this means

• everybody laughed that he resembled a mop.
  • i laughed when people said he looked like a mop.
  • something else completely

i read this which is what made me think my first translation was probably wrong, but i'm still quite unconfident on the matter...

The more context the better (we don't even have a subject here), but I would understand it as: everybody laughed

The linked question is a bit different, it is about 笑わせる which is a causative form - it's about making (or letting) someone laugh (and I believe これ vs みんな can also make a difference).

Here, you can say で marks a way how the verb was performed and that is "as everyone".

It is similar to other constructs like 一人で (by myself, alone)、家族で (as a family), ...

• You can also check japanese.stackexchange.com/a/44711/9719 It describes this expression from maybe? a different angle using formal sources, though I cannot think of a difference it would practically make. This answer is about how I understood it – NoxArt May 12 '18 at 14:10
  • Thank you very much for the link. I'll give it a read, for now I'll keep hoping my answer is not wrong then : ) – NoxArt May 12 '18 at 15:01
  • (if we assume the possibility of a hidden subject) – NoxArt May 12 '18 at 15:09
  • Well, I upvoted because I think your explanation ('everybody laughed') is the right way to understand it. I don't think you can add a が-marked subject in addition to みんなで, though, so I think it might be best analyzed as what Martin calls a 'group subject'. We could see if anyone else has an opinion about adding a が-phrase, though. I'm just a learner, and my intuitive judgments aren't always right. – snailcar May 12 '18 at 23:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.