I've been trying to improve my Japanese by translating a children's book. I only studied Japanese for a short while over 10 years ago so my grammar knowledge is very flawed and I've never read books before, only manga, so I mostly only know the basic grammar used in everyday conversations.

「どうしてないているの?」るるちゃんがきく
「おさんぽをしていたら、おうちにかえれなくなったの。」
ちいさなおばけはこたえました。

I'm confused to the use of と here. All three of them. I can understand what it says without knowing, but I really want a better understanding the usage of と here.

The と's after the quotations are the quotative case particle ([引用]{いんよう}の[格助詞]{かくじょし}).

「どうしてないているの?」るるちゃんがき(いた)
"Why are you crying?" asked Ruru-chan.

「おさんぽをしていたら、おうちにかえれなくなったの。」ちいさなおばけはこたえました。
"I lost my way home while taking a walk," replied the little ghost.

The と in 聞くと is a conjunctive particle ([接続助詞]{せつぞくじょし}) for "If" or "When". (This と attaches to the terminal form ([終止形]{しゅうしけい}) of a conjugatable word ([活用語]{かつようご}).)

るるちゃんが聞く、~~
When Ruru-chan asked, ~~

The first and third ones are "that": The ghost said that ...
The second one is "and" or perhaps more like "then": Lulu asked ..., then the ghost ...

The second と can be rewritten to すると without changing the meaning like this: 「どうしてないているの?」とるるちゃんがききました。すると、 「おさんぽ...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.