What is the sentence structure of this sentence, which is from the lyrics of this song? I'm lost. How to understand くらい?

いつだって不安な朝は迎え難い 今日くらい大丈夫だって言って

Does the sentence mean: Mornings of anxiety are always difficult to deal with, please tell me even something like 'things will be fine today'.

I'm not sure. Please kindly help.

• Thank you Chocolate! So the narrator is actually requesting the addressee to do all these things:「気づいてよ」「ここに来て」「大丈夫だって言って」「耳を澄まして」「満たして」? – Jo H May 12 at 3:41

I think "くらい" in this case suggests that the other person usually doesn't say the word "大丈夫". So the meaning would be like: please tell me 'things will be fine' at least today (because today is a special day, or you haven't said that in a while, or something like that.)

date + くらい[は] is a common phrase. You can say for example "テストの前日くらいは勉強しなさい" or "誕生日くらいおいしいものを食べよう".

• Wow thanks! Such nuanced meaning! – Jo H May 12 at 9:41

Your Answer

discard

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.