I know the sentence structure XについてのY, but I don’t know how to effectively use it. I know that what precedes it must be a noun or has to be nominalised, but still can’t figure out how to use it properly.

My best guess would be something like:

ベルギー人はビールについての考え方とはベルギーのが一番美味しいと思います。
Belgian people’s views about beer are that Belgian beer is the best tasting.

Would that be a correct sentence? I wasn’t sure about how to use some of the particles with this construction.

The information page on について / についての in my grammar book. (This is where I first learned about the construction.)

「ベルギー人{じん}ビールについての考{かんが}え方{かた}とはベルギーのが一番美味{いちばんおい}しいと思{おも}います。」

Before discussing the validity of your sentence above, I would like to talk about a couple of items.

「Noun 1 + に + ついて + + Noun 2」

will always be a noun phrase; therefore, it will need to be treated as such without an exception.

This differs from the expression:

「Noun + に + ついて + Verb」

which is a verb phrase.

Now, let us take a look at:

「ビール + に + ついて + の + 考え方」

That is a perfectly formed noun phrase.

Your sentence, however, has two flaws even though it was a very nice try.

1) The 「は」 after the 「ベルギー人」. It needs to be 「の」 for it to be grammatical. You said "Belgian people’s views" yourself; You used the "'s", which is 「の」 in Japanese.

2) 「思います」 at the end. The subject of this sentence is 「考え方」 and not 「ベルギー人」. You cannot say 「考え方は/が思います」 (even though you can say 「ベルギー人は/が思います」).

Ideally (and naturally), this sentence should end in 「~~というものです」. If you used 「考え方」 as the subject, you would use that 「もの」 to correspond to it within the predicate.

You used "views about beer are that ~~~" in your English. The Japanese expression that is closest in both meaning and feeling to "is/are that ~~~" would be 「~~というものです」.

Thus, the sentence I would personally recommend would be:

「ベルギー人ビールについての考え方とは、ベルギーのが一番美味しいというものです。」

A very natural use of 「の」 in 「ベルギーのが」 by you, by the way.

• Thank you so much for explaining it in high detail. I think I understand it now. 考え方 is the subject so that’s the only part that should take the は or an equivalent to it. After ベルギー人 I should have placed a の because I’m talking about views ‘of’ Belgian people. I can’t use と思う because it’s not about the people, but about their views. I should use というものです because it’s the thing I’m describing. And thank you for being supportive and also pointing out what I did right. Very much obliged! – Otsukisama May 9 '18 at 14:04

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.