This is more for formal written email than spoken in person.

For example, if I was to ask:

Which of the following do you enjoy:

(A) Coffee

(B) Tea

(C) The java in me

I would also like to know the most common way of listing a multiple choice such as if I was to use ㋐ ㋑ ㋒ in this situation?

Thanks in advance

(A)(B)(C) and (1)(2)(3) are perfect choices in most modern Japanese workplaces, especially when you send something via the Internet. ①②③ is the next safest. Some traditional documents still prefer (ア)(イ)(ウ), ㋐㋑㋒ or even (イ)(ロ)(ハ), but I don't recommend using them at least as a primarily choice. (If you work at a legal department, there may be special rules to list things.)

丸囲み文字 and 組文字 were common in the pre-internet era, but its use has been discouraged by many people in the last 20 years due to technical reasons regarding character encoding (For example, ㋐㋑㋒ was not commonly available for a while on PC, and Mac users could not even read ①②③ in an email sent by PC users). Now it's generally safe to use them thanks to Unicode, but many people still avoid them on the net.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.