So, I've come across the phrase やばたにえん online a couple of times, and I can't seem to find what it means. Multiple online translators fail to give me a translation, and searching on google for the answer only returnes this page: https://fastjapan.com/en/p207796 . It says that it is a deviation of やばい and that it can also be used with other adjectives like つらい into つらたにえん.

My question is, what does this ~たにえん suffix mean, how it's built, and when do I use it?

やばたにえん is described in this Nicopedia entry. This is a net meme and you don't have to take it seriously. ~たにえん itself is an almost meaningless "suffix" which was coined arbitrarily because it sounded like ながたにえん (永谷園, a famous food company). Someone felt simple やばい is too uninteresting, and started to say やばたん, and then やばたにえん, hoping it will sound cute or funny. Technically speaking, this may be seen as an attempt to create a new diminutive or augmentative.

This word will probably be forgotten within 5 years, and I don't think I'll ever use it myself. This word is not something you try to use intentionally. If you're a type of person who needs to use this, you'll learn how to use it without asking here.

• Perhaps okie-dokie and easy-peasy are similar examples in English. Similar examples in Japanese can be found here although most of them are outdated. – naruto May 7 '18 at 17:21
  • やばたん here reminds me of やばたん⑥ which is probably completely unrelated – psosuna May 7 '18 at 22:23

Net forums do this all the time. It's like in English, if instead of saying "that's awesome!", you said "that's awesomesauce!". The suffix really means nothing, and they're just trying to be humorous. If you want to have a deeper understanding of the joke, you need to do some research into the origins of the phrase. Nico Nico's net slang dictionary can be a useful resource sometimes. Googling for "word/phrase 由来" could also yield some results. More often than not, you'll find that it started as a joke on 2chan, a text/image board.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.