Context: Mecha anime soundtrack.

I know that 天 is akin to "heavenly," but I've never seen 吼 before, and I can't find a translation -- or even another use in Japanese -- online at all. In traditional Chinese it means "roar," and all-in-all that makes some contextual sense, but I'm not comfortable just mashing the two together like that. Is this actually a Chinese title in the middle of a Japanese soundtrack, or is this a kanji I need to be educated on?

吼 means something along the lines of cry or roar. So think of it as a noise like 鳴【なる】.

• 吼【ほ】える = to bark, to howl
  • 咆吼【ほうこう】= a howl, cry (alternative to 咆哮)
  • 獅子吼【ししく】 = lion’s roar
  • 帆猿【ほえざる】 = Howler Monkey
  • 吼【ほ】え声【ごえ】= a bark, a howl

So I guess it’s a term that’s made up for an anime or game. You said it was used in a song? It sometimes happens they coin new words in those (especially in anime and game related music). For the pronunciation you’d have to listen to the song though. If I had to make a guess, it would be てんこう.

The meaning, however, is straightforward: heavenly roar.

edited: provided more examples.

• Thank you! That was my impression, but I didn't want to only go off of a translation from Chinese. Thanks so much for showing me what it means. It was an instrumental song, of all things! – SilverbackNet May 5 '18 at 6:43
  • @SilverbackNet, Yeah that’s also possible. Happy to help. Song titles are the worst to translate sometimes. 😂 – Otsukisama May 5 '18 at 7:01
  • I just noticed that ほえる is just "howl." This is leading me down a rabbit hole of etymology for whether the word is shared or the sound is universal. BTW, do you mind if I update wiktionary with your examples? – SilverbackNet May 5 '18 at 7:13
  • @SilverbackNet , I don’t mind. Knowledge has to be shared. – Otsukisama May 5 '18 at 7:58
    I believe the reading for 吼え声 should be ほえごえ – Leebo May 5 '18 at 10:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.