In a scene from the Japanese movie 「四月物語」, the heroine introduced herself, saying 「[卯月]{うづき}です」, which is her given name.

The 「月」 part is kind of whispered (?) , and sounds to me more close to 「すき」.

I'm wondering how this line would sound to native Japanese speakers, e.g. will it be confused with 「すき」?

I am a native speaker, and this うづき was not confusing. The person clearly pronounced う-ず-き, although she was speaking in a mild whispering voice.

Note that "zu" and "dzu" are two allophones of ず/づ in Japanese, and "zu" tends to appear in the middle of a word. You may not hear a burst of air when ず/づ is pronounced in the middle of a word. Also note that most Japanese people pronounce ず and づ exactly the same way, although づ is sometimes romanized as "dzu" or "du". For details, see /d, z/ neutralization and Yotsugana.

Your Answer

discard

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.