I was reading an article in the "Easy Japanese" app about Mother's day flowers and stumbled upon this sentence:

農家【のうか】の小河原一雄【こがわらかずお】さんは「お母【かあ】さんに『ありがとう』の気持【きも】ちを伝える【つたえる】お手伝い【おてつだい】ができたらいいなと思います【おもいます】」と言っています【いっています】。

I'm struggling to understand the meaning/nuance of the sentence, besides something along the lines of "Farmer Kogawarakazuo said, 'I think it's good if I helped to convey thankful feelings to mothers.'"

Could you please explain the meaning of the sentence, especially the "~できたらいいなと思います" part?

農家{のうか}​の​小河原一雄{こがわらかずお}さん​は「お​母{かあ}​さんに『ありがとう』の​気持 {きも}​ちを​伝{つた}​えるお​手伝{てつだ}​いができたらいいなと​思{おも}​います」と​言{い}​っています。

~~できたらいいな思います = 「~~できたらいいな」思います

Thus, the 「と」 is quotative. Kogawara is quoting his own thought/idea/feeling/hope here. "I think it would be great if I could ~~"

This sentence is actually quite complex (for being called Easy Japanese) in terms of expressing who does what. Here is a list of actions and their performers.

お母さんに『ありがとう』の気持ちを伝える ("to convey their gratitude to their mothers") ⇒ people

お手伝いができたらいいなと思います (to think it would be great to be of help [to those people mentioned above]) ⇒ Kogawara

言っています (to be saying) ⇒ Kogawara

As usual, the performers are generally unmentioned. In this case, the only one explicitly mentioned (out of the three) is Kogarawa for the action of 「言っています」.

Kazuo Kogawara, the farmer, says "It would be great if I could help people convey their feelings of thankfulness to their mothers."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.