I'm talking about the "cultural" ones, because with the yen currency the scale is completely different (millionnaire with yen is only about having approximately 10 000 usd so I don't think it's the real equivalent).

億万長者【おくまんちょうじゃ】 is the best-known word. Actually there is also a word 百万長者, but it's not commonly used for the obvious reason.

ミリオネア is at least understood because of this TV program, but it's not used in daily conversations.

• 億万長者 is a word that just means " rich person" without referring especially to an amount of money ? – Jirei May 1 '18 at 16:43
    @Jirei I assume an 億万長者 has at least 100M yen, but basically it vaguely refers to a super-rich person. Bill Gates is still safely an 億万長者, too. – naruto May 1 '18 at 16:51

There is also the word [大富豪]{だい・ふ・ごう}, but I don't know if it's commonly used other than for the card game.

• It is definitely used in the 'extremely rich person' meaning. I don't think it's terribly uncommon, though my intuition might not be reliable on that point. At any rate, I learned in context with that meaning, and you can find plenty of examples in BCCWJ. – snailcar Jul 19 '18 at 19:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.