I'm reading a book, and in this scene, the leader of a Yakuza group is plotting to try to gain the spot as the largest and strongest syndicate in the region. His group has kidnapped 2 characters from the target syndicate, and he's talking with those 2 characters. He previously said that he finds other's misfortunes amusing.

The sentence I'm trying to translate: あいつの蔭で延々と 非道をつくそうとする 思考も面白いがわしはどちらかというと派手好みでな

My attempt: The thought of [doing something unjust?] in a drawn out way in the shadows is also amusing, but if it were one or the other, I would prefer to be showy/extravagant.

I'm not sure what verb つく translates to. Either one of the many many possibilities of つく verbs with verb root + そう like "to appear/seem to (verb)"? But which つく, there's a lot and they have so many potential meanings.

Could the verb be 尽くす? – mamster Apr 30 '18 at 4:46

This is 非道を尽くす, where 尽くす means "to do (something) fully", "to exhaust" or "to run the full gamut of ~". 非道を尽くす means doing all sorts of atrocious things.

Similar examples:

• 全力を尽くす: to do one's best
  • 町で破壊の限りを尽くす: to run the gamut of destruction in the town

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.