I first came across this term here. I have to say, that is some fascinating information they got there.

Wikipedia has an article on the term here. Frankly, I'm not sure the article does a good job explaining it.

Fortunately, I found this article, which does a great job at explaining it, and it goes like this:

“The ancestral race that an individual belongs to, as opposed to their current nationality. People derived from of a variety of ethnic origin types currently inhabit the United States, and which include white, black, American Indian, Asian, Pacific Islander and Eskimo.”

I have looked at Weblio, and it presents some options for translating:

• For “ethnic”, I could choose 民族, 民族の, 民族的な, 人種, 人種の, 人種的な, エスニック, and maybe some other terms I missed. I guess the tricky part here is deciding if “ethnic” is a noun or adjective in this context.
  • For “origin”, I could choose 生まれ, 系の, 素姓, オリジン, and maybe some other terms I missed. I'm not entirely sure which term would be a good choice in this context.

I would really appreciate your help.

[民族的起源]{みんぞくてききげん}? Quite a few articles online uses that term, if you Google it verbatim. – droooze Apr 28 '18 at 13:28
  • Well, it was a little tricky to Google that. Mostly because I was getting Chinese articles. I had to put some hiragana in it to find those pages. Still, I have to ask this: is that term used by native Japanese speakers? – Micheal Gignac Apr 28 '18 at 17:35

The most technical term used in the legal world that I know would be:

「民族的出自{みんぞくてきしゅつじ}」

Less formal/tecnical would include:

・「民族的ルーツ」

・「エスニシティー」

・「民族[背景]{はいけい}」

Most informal would include:

・「人種{じんしゅ}」

• Okay. I think this helps me considerably. I just have a couple questions. 1. Is katakana ever formal? I get the impression that it's not. 2. If you don't mind me asking, does the census in Japan ask for the ethnic origins of respondents? I imagine the data in Japan would be different as opposed to the data in Canada. – Micheal Gignac Apr 28 '18 at 17:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.