I'm constructing a sentence where I want to say that "I really want to live in Japan because I can speak Japanese every day and that it has many beautiful places" the way I've written it is below:

毎日日本語を話せし、たくさん所きれいだし、日本で本当に住むがほしいです。

I honestly feel a bit weird writing this myself because something seems off about the sentence altogether. Am I allowed to put a potential form before し in this manner? is there anything here that I could improve in terms of sentence structure.

For our course, we were instructed to use all our learned material which is the first 3 lessons of Genki II.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

日本語を手伝ってください!

For the potential form, did you mean 話せるし・・・? – mamster Apr 28 '18 at 14:20
    Yes, it makes sense, but there are a bunch of errors in it. – istrasci Apr 28 '18 at 14:30
  • @mamster, kettleman must have meant 話せるし – ericfromabeno Apr 28 '18 at 18:17

毎日日本語を話せし、たくさん所きれいだし、日本で本当に住むがほしいです。

There are small errors in each part of what you want to say, unfortunately. Or fortunately, if you consider this a chance to study the language. :) It was already pointed out in the comments that you were trying to use the potential form, but mis-wrote it, it should be 毎日日本語を話せるし、... In your next sentence fragment, you apparently leave out several connecting particles, and/or need to rearrange your word order. In English we would say "there are many beautiful places" but in Japanese the most common word order would become "beautiful places many (are there)." Rather than telling you outright, I hope you challenge yourself to rearranging the words on your own. One thing I will say is don't forget that before a noun, きれい is a な adjective... and "are there" is represented by an existence verb, the one for inanimate objects. ... However, if you actually wanted to say it as "Many places there are beautiful." THEN, your word order is correct, you just left out a couple simple one syllable connective particles. There should be one between "many" and "places", and a different one between "places" and "beautiful"... Make a choice about which way you mean to say that middle section, and you should be able to fix it up on your own without much difficulty. At the end, 日本で本当に住むがほしいです。... 日本で is not "wrong" precisely, but で is used to name a place where some action is occuring, and with 住む, which is more a "state of being" or connected to "going" somewhere (to live) the particle most commonly used is に. As for the way you wrote 住む, you should either change it to the "したい" form, or use の to change it to its noun version, because you can only "ほしい" nouns. ^_^

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.