This question already has an answer here:

I was studying kanji, and this word came up. I know the romaji is nikagetsu, meaning two months, so I was a little confused as to why it has a little "ケ". Do you know if this is correct, and if it is, why it's spelled 二ヶ月 instead of 二か月? Thanks.

marked as duplicate by macraf, istrasci, Community Apr 29 '18 at 0:03

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

it is correct. "kagetsu" is the form for counting months, and may take any of these forms: カ月 ·ケ月 ·ヶ月 ·ヵ月 ·箇月 ·か月 .... as for how ケ became one of the written forms, I don't have enough study under my belt to know for sure, but if I had to guess I would say that it's related to the kanji version 箇月, which has two of those as radicals at the top... perhaps it became a shorthand for that kanji at some point. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can clarify.

Yes, 「ケ」is a short hand for 「箇」in this context and is pronounced "ka" accordingly. As ericfromabeno guessed, 「ケ」is one of the top elements of the full kanji. All forms s/he lists are correct and all pronounced the same---At least, this is what I think I read in a book written by a scholar, but I can't find the reference now. – Ryo Apr 28 '18 at 16:57

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.