This question already has an answer here:

I learned that it's transitive from a dictionary but i can't see any "を" before the word 思うthat's why I'm not completely convinced that it's transitive. Is it intransitive or is there exceptions?

marked as duplicate by Eiríkr Útlendi, macraf, user3856370, Earthliŋ Apr 29 '18 at 9:07

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

The dictionary I looked in (大辞林) has many examples with を. What are you using. – Leebo Apr 27 '18 at 13:06
  • @Leebo i only looked for a few sentences and all i saw was と before the omou. – Veronica145 Apr 27 '18 at 14:37

Both「. . . と思う」and「. . . を思う」are common. But, contexts where 「と思う」occurs are much more frequent.

「somethingを思う」means "(I'm) thinking of something" or "(I'm) thinking about something". Why is this one less frequent? Because it sounds a little bit more poetic than「somethingのことを考えている」, which is prosaic.

In contrast, the other form needs a clause: 「[clause]と思う」, and means "(I) think that [clause]."

You sometimes see 「[noun]と思う」, but this one is an irregular form and I personally avoid it in writing. The corresponding regular form is 「[noun]だと思う」. For example, "Do you think we are enemies?" 「No. 友達と思う」---The more regular form is 「友達だと思う」"I think (that) we are friends."

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.