I was listening to this one song and got a little confused about its meaning.

There seems to be a guy talking a bout himself, and then he talks about a girl who either, supposedly, would talk about herself, or about the guy.

例えば俺が俺じゃないいとして、お前はお前だと言いきれるのか

What is the correct translation?

A: What if I was not myself, would you be able to say that you are yourself?

B: What if I was not myself, would you be able to say "You are yourself"?

I feel that by context A is the correct one, but B is the one that looks like a direct quotation in my opinion?

In order to A make sense gramatically (in my surely mistaken opinion) would be:

例えば俺が俺じゃないとして、お前はお前を言いきれるのか

I feel like this is wrong, but I want to confirm...

Thanks in advance.

Source: https://utaten.com/lyric/cinema+staff/great+escape/

EDIT:

My problem is with the last と particle, I have no problem understanding the と in として.

• Is the と particle quotation literal or context matters? You example sentence has 2 と's in it. Please clarify which one you mean. – istrasci Apr 26 '18 at 14:49
  • @istrasci isn't the "quotation" clarifying what particle i'm talking about? – Felipe Oliveira Apr 26 '18 at 15:34
    It's clear to me, yes. But it may not be clear to everyone who views this topic, particularly beginners. – istrasci Apr 26 '18 at 19:42
    This might help with the を versus と: What is the difference between using を and と with the verb 言う?. I'm by no means an authority so please wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer but I'm pretty sure ~と言う can be used for indirect quotes as you have in A. – G-Cam Apr 27 '18 at 2:11
    It also might help to understand what the term quotative means. It may not mean what you think. – virmaior Apr 27 '18 at 10:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.