Context:

Person A, has just left to look for persons B, and it would be bad if she met them. Person C comments on this saying:

まずいな。 今彼女にBたちの所に行かれては……!

There are two things that kinda confuse me. For one why is both A (彼女) and B marked with に. I'd think it would be used primarily as a location but here it's used with the subject/doer.

I guess it could indicate on which is いく being performed since it's passive.

Or, given 今 it might be be to make 今彼女 into an adverb of a kind. So it would be: "If she goes to Bs as she is now..."

Second thing is ては bit. I'm guessing て here is to chain into a outcome verb. So this is IF.

今彼女Bたちの所行かれては

The first に marks the agent (doer) of the verb 行く. 彼女に行かれる is the suffering passive (迷惑の受身) form of 彼女が行く. Compare:

子供が泣いた vs (私が)子供に泣かれた
妻が先立つ vs (私が)妻に先立たれる

The second に marks the location/destination where 彼女 is going.

Second thing is ては bit. I'm guessing て here is to chain into a outcome verb. So this is IF.

You're right that the ては means "if." 倒置 (Anastrophe) has occurred in your example. The original/normal word order should be:

今彼女にBたちの所に行かれてはまずいな。
"It's no good if she goes to B's place now."

• Typo probably. 彼女 = "she" right? – G-Cam Apr 26 '18 at 14:09
  • @G-Cam あ。「彼女たち」じゃなくて「彼女」だったわ・・ – Chocolate Apr 26 '18 at 14:11
  • Ah, okay. So it is a target of passive. I still don't get though why use such a form? Is there some nuance in using that rather than something like "今彼女がBたちの所に行っては"? – 4th Dimension Apr 26 '18 at 20:12
  • You can find lots of reading material if you search "suffering passive". – Leebo Apr 26 '18 at 22:15
  • @4th Is there some nuance-- Yes, it has a nuance that her action (she goes to B's) is not desirable and the speaker feels/will be annoyed/bothered by that. – Chocolate Apr 26 '18 at 23:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.