I just can't figure this Kanji from an old newspaper out, I am guessing it is a printing style not used anymore.I was trying to go by the 3-character radical on the left but I can't find anything that includes the 2 strokes in the middle.

enter image description here


That is 「派{は}」 meaning a "faction", "group", "school", etc.

  • Thank you! I didn't think that it could be an enclosure. Apr 22 '18 at 1:10
  • That looks like a horrible font for a newspaper to use.. To my eyes anyway. 0_0 I was stumped. Apr 22 '18 at 2:17
  • 1
    ^ 大正か昭和初期の新聞広告のフォントみたいですね。「懐映体」っていうんですかね tande.jp/lab/2012/09/1887
    – Chocolate
    Apr 22 '18 at 13:50
  • @strongfish91, it's not an enclosure character. The radical is the three-strokes version of , and the body of the character is 𠂢, originally derived as the mirror of . More at the Wiktionary entries for , , and 𠂢. Apr 23 '18 at 21:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.